The Outreach & Engagement Specialist is familiar with and, a member of one of Orange County unserved or underserved communities, such as the Vietnamese community, and is able to use her/his familiarity with the community to access unserved and underserved community members (all ages) who normally would not receive information about mental health/mental illness issues or obtain help when needed. This Specialist targets mental health/mental illness awareness through skills building presentations in schools and other locations serving all ages individuals, provides case management, structured interventions, crisis intervention, and provides community resource referrals and linkages to English and Vietnamese community members.
- To promote mental health wellness and prevent mental illness of all ages individuals by raising community awareness and increasing knowledge about mental health issues, reducing psychosocial risk factors and strengthening protective factors, addressing concerns, and promoting access to available community resources.
- Assist the Director and Supervisor with outreach activities & other operation tasks of the Community Outreach and Engagement Program so that it achieves goal #1, provides programmatic excellence, and meets all contract requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Distributes mental health flyers, brochures, community resource information, and other materials to community members, organizations serving families, seniors, or community groups that can spread the word to potential participants in the city(ies) assigned.
· Conducts 1:1 Skill building sessions & mental health screenings at outreach events (level 1 and 2) by connecting with children, teens, their parents or other adults at community gatherings, events, and groups during the week and weekend with flexibility as per client and program needs.
· Conducts case management with a caseload of 5-10 clients.
· Provides crisis intervention, structured intervention, and community resource referrals and linkages to all ages participants.
· Assists Educators with educational presentations at schools and community centers as needed.
· Recruits mental health services consumers and other volunteers to help expand the mental health/mental illness awareness message.
· Fields hotline calls from the public, phone banking/skill building follow ups and assistance.
· Attends community events as needed and act as a liaison with community groups, clinics, FRC’s, collaborative groups and other entities serving all ages individuals to enhance mental health issue awareness and knowledge.
· Complies with data entry requirements in Exym and deliver stats on time for reports and HCA needs.
· Pitches in wherever needed to help the team launch and perfect the Outreach and Engagement Program.
- Desirable Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a mental health/social services related field.
- Required: Bilingual Fluent Vietnamese spoken and written.
- Required: Ability to work evenings and weekends for clients who cannot meet during work hours and for community outreach events scheduled afterhours.
- 1-2 years of experience in the delivery of mental health/social service programs including case management; experience with community outreach would be ideal.
- Knowledge of Orange County Resources.
- Proven ability to give engaging presentations in front of large audiences on topics of mental health awareness.
- Excellent initiative and ability to engage others and work as a team.
- Highly enthusiastic, positive, kind, personable, hardworking, and reliable.
- Possesses cultural competency skills and ability to relate to staff, consumers, and community members from Vietnamese, and underserved communities of all ages.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Outlook.